This ad is expired.
Campus Safety Officer I
Hobart William Smith Colleges: Education: Office of Campus Safety
Jul 13, 2020
Conduct active and random patrols of campus grounds and buildings in uniform on foot and by vehicle to ensure the effective and efficient execution of the mission of the department in providing a safe and secure environment for individuals and property at the Colleges. Perform initial investigations of incidents and potential crimes. Make accurate and timely written reports of all activity. Respond to emergencies, problems and complaints. Conduct special duties as assigned.
- Patrol grounds and buildings in assigned area, occupied or vacant, to deter and detect criminal activity, security breaches, safety hazards maintenance problems and enforce the rules of the Colleges. Take appropriate and necessary action to eliminate problems reported or discovered. Lock and unlock buildings and rooms according to schedules, authorization lists and upon request.
- Respond to reported incidents and calls for service, takes necessary action appropriate for the situation according to guidelines established by the Colleges and departmental policies and procedures. Assist victims of crimes with making a police complaint, as desired or required.
- Write and submit complete, detailed, legible, and accurate reports in a timely manner, concerning incidents, accidents and calls for service.
- Enforce campus traffic and parking regulations. Direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic, provide information and directions, arrange assistance for motorists with mechanical problems, issue parking tickets and arrange towing of vehicles as necessary.
- Assist Colleges' officials, law enforcement agencies, fire, and other public safety officials in the performance of those duties which relate to the mission of the department in maintaining law, order and public safety on the campus. Will function as the Colleges first responder to criminal incidents, fires, medical emergencies, chemical spills, natural disasters and other emergencies on campus.
- Perform various duties consistent with the Colleges' fire prevention and general safety program. These include inspection of fire safety equipment, conducting fire drills and other duties related to the Colleges' safety programs.
- Attend and participate in department meetings, successfully completes training programs when scheduled, including programs held during regularly scheduled hours and outside regularly scheduled hours. Some training programs may require travel.
- Perform the duties outlined for the Campus Safety Dispatcher. Function as officer in charge if individual is the senior officer on duty and there is no Sergeant or Lieutenant assigned to the shift. Perform other duties as assigned or necessary for departmental operations.
- Be available for additional work assignments outside regularly scheduled shifts, which may include security for special events, athletic contests, staffing shortages and weather/disaster emergencies. Shift assignments may change to meet needs of the department.
- Transport students and others to and from the hospital and from class to class when circumstance requires.
- Secure and care for stray animals on occasion.
- High school diploma or GED required. Associate's degree in criminal justice, related discipline or specialized training in security and safety, or two years security experience in a college/institutional setting or police/peace officer experience with certified academy training is preferred.
- Be of good character and able to pass a background investigation and reference check. Become registered as a security guard in NY within a reasonable time frame and maintain registry during employment with the department.
- Must possess and maintain valid New York State Driver's License with a good driving record. Must qualify for and pass Colleges' driving test.
- Maintain certification in Responding to Emergencies and automated external defibrillator (APR/CPR).
- Reliable and able to work independently under established guidelines. Must display sensitivity to the unique role that Campus Safety plays in a college setting. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be in good physical condition with weight in proportion to height. Good eye sight with vision correctable to 20/40. Capable of performing the physical requirements of the position including walking for extended periods of time; standing/sitting at a fixed post for sustained periods; climbing stairs/fire escapes/ladders; running in response to emergency needs; reach extending hands/arms in any direction; flexibility to crouch, kneel, bend or stoop. Able to perform duties at night and during inclement weather including rain, snow, extreme heat or cold.
This is a 12-month, full-time, hourly (40 hours per week), benefits-eligible, non-bargaining unit position with competitive salary and benefits package. After training, which will involve all shifts and days of the week, a regular shift assignment will be established. Additional hours will be required on occasion. This position description is not all-inclusive, as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service Interfolio http://apply.interfolio.com/77224
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio's support team at email@example.com or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment-free educational, living and working environment for all members of the HWS community, including students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and visitors. HWS prohibits discrimination and harassment in their programs and activities on the basis of age, color, disability, domestic violence victim status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected under the law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual assault, and other forms of sexual misconduct including stalking and intimate partner violence, and gender-based harassment that does not involve conduct of a sexual nature.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency