This ad is expired.
California State University, San Bernardino
Job No: 508033
Work type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, At-Will, Full Time, Safety This position is being recruited through an outside agency. To apply, please visit the application portal at Public Sector Search:
Any applications received through CSUSB will be redirected to the Public Sector Search.
California State University San Bernardino (CSUSB) is conducting a national search for its next Chief of Police. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an accomplished law enforcement professional to lead a university police department at one of California's most desirable public universities. The CSUSB University Police Department (UPD) provides public safety services and physical security to the campus, adjacent University facilities, and the members of the campus community. UPD offers a wide range of programs and services designed to enhance community safety and security and respond to emergency response to calls for service. UPD employs 19 sworn police officers and active support staff. UPD has a newly remodeled Regional Communications Center, with several hardware and software upgrades, and a number of new training procedures, tools and equipment intended to improve officer and public safety. The Chief of Police will oversee all planning and day-to-day operations of these units.
The next Chief of Police will be a dynamic servant leader who recognizes the complexities and challenges of policing in a university environment and is deeply committed to a philosophy that promotes organizational strategies which support collaboration, partnership, and problem-solving to proactively address public safety issues in a campus setting.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
- Candidates will have a bachelor's degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice, Public or Business Management, Social Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience required to perform the position's duties
- Candidates must have ten years of progressively responsible sworn law enforcement experience, including at least three years of management experience.
- Satisfaction of California POST minimum employment standards for a sworn police officer.
- The next Chief of Police will also be a thoughtful leader, effective communicator, and strategic thinker.
- Thorough knowledge of public safety, law enforcement, and security methods, and an indepth understanding of California law and the regulations pertaining to the activities on campus.
- Meets all other requirements for peace officers and rank of Chief of Police as established by law and the California POST at time of appointment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all areas of police operations, including patrol, investigations, traffic, crime prevention, community-oriented policing, crowd control, and event management.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations; Peace Officer Bill of Rights and police labor law; principles and procedures of supervision, management, POST mandated police training; and internal affairs investigations.
- Experience with budget planning and development.
- Experience with applying, or demonstrated ability to apply, knowledge of shared governance, committee leadership, and CSU managerial and governance processes.
- Experience with preparing or assisting with reports related to compliance regulations including, without limitation, the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policies and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), California Education Code section 67380, the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) including The Campus Fire Safety Right-to-Know Act, The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, including the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act (Campus SaVE), the Kristin Smart Campus Safety Act of 1998, and Sexual Offender Registration including Megan's Law.
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds in a university community.
- Policing experience in a university or college environment, especially in a leadership role
- Familiarity and/or experience with IACLEA accreditation process
- Prior policing experience within the California State University System
- Possession of a POST Management Certificate or ability to obtain a Management Certificate
- Master's Degree in Criminal Justice, Social Sciences, Leadership, Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field
- Completion of an advanced law enforcement leadership program such as California Law Enforcement Command College, FBI National Academy, Naval Post-Graduate School, or similar recognized program
- Experience with collective bargaining agreements and labor-management relations
Compensation and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $175,000 - $180,000 per month
Classification Salary Range: $70,000 - $240,756 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here.
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/At-will
Schedule: Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, weekends and evenings may be required.
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position will remain open until filled. The application deadline is January 27, 2023.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Driver's License Check
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
Employment is contingent upon a candidate passing a pre-employment physical exam with the ability to lift in excess of 50 lbs.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/.
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-05ac4afc8db5ac4f86f1b2c37c70312f