Job No: 500947
Work Type: Regular
Location: Malibu Campus
Categories: Public Safety
Provide and maintain a safe and secure environment while respecting the rights and dignity of individuals utilizing programs and facilities of Pepperdine University. The mission shall be accomplished within the constraints of federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Perform a full range of radio, telephone, and CCTV operational duties in our 24-hour communication center.
- Dispatch public safety officers, fire, medical, and parking personnel to calls for service, based on priority, location, and resources available.
- Support the University's mission, ethics code, and all applicable standards and policies by encouraging and maintaining a safe, peaceful, and orderly community through education, enforcement, emergency response, and services delivered 24-hours a day, 365 days per year.
- Accurately track, monitor, and document officer activities during their shift, correctly differentiate emergency and non-emergency calls, and effectively prioritize calls for service.
- Complete detailed CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch System) entries for all calls.
- Devote full attention to monitoring and responding to communication systems.
- Simultaneously coordinate multiple communications tasks under potentially stressful conditions.
- Operate communications equipment, including radios and computers. Monitor CCTV system, alarm panels, electronic communications, and visual controlled access entrances in the communications center. Appropriately coordinate any necessary response.
- Develop and maintain positive community relations through community-oriented public safety goals as applicable individuals contact the communications center by phone or in the reception center.
- Collaborate with and support Public Safety personnel and members of the Pepperdine community to foster and maintain a positive, honorable, efficient, and professional work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Public Safety leadership.
- Uphold University mission through work performed. Respect and honor the values of and commitment to Christianity which is foundational to Pepperdine University. Devote full attention to responsibilities when on duty.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: High school education or equivalent. Ability to obtain broad knowledge of the University and familiarity with the scope of responsibilities of the Department of Public Safety, L.A. County Sheriff's Department, L.A. County Fire Department, and California Highway Patrol. Possess or obtain within the first 90 days of employment CPR and basic first aid certificates. Ability to obtain knowledge of law enforcement and public safety methods. Ability to obtain knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, including the California Vehicle Code. Supportive of the Christian mission of Pepperdine University with the ability and desire to promote the University's mission. Supportive and willing to adhere to the University's Code of Ethics. Ability to type approximately 40 words per minute. Ability to remain calm in emergency situations. Excellent telephone etiquette with strong customer service skills. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including a pleasant disposition and an ability to communicate with diplomacy and tact in sensitive situations. Ability to maintain confidential information. Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently. Ability to handle multiple, simultaneous responsibilities in potentially stressful situations. Ability and willingness to work a wide variety of shifts including potential late night/early morning hours, weekends, and holidays. Possibly working extended shifts on short notice and/or being called into work outside normal scheduled hours. Strong oral and written communication skills. Able to enter data into a variety of computer software programs and communicate daily via email. Possess a valid Class C, California driver's license and good driving record.
Preferred: Six months or more of related work experience. Computer database training. Dispatch training.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is a Regular, Nonexempt, 40 hour per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: To apply, visit: http://jobs.pepperdine.edu/cw/en/job/500947/communications-officer.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency